top of page

Indiana Farmers See Relief on DUNS and SAM Requirements

Thanks to a change in the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2018, farmers in Indiana who apply for financial assistance programs through USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) will no longer need a Dun and Bradstreet Universal Number System (DUNS) number, or to register in the System for Award Management (SAM).

“This change streamlines the process for both farmers and staff because it greatly simplifies the contracting and payment process for current and new participants,” said Gerald Roach, Acting State Conservationist in Indiana. “Participants that are currently enrolled in any of our conservation programs will soon receive letters from NRCS with more details.”

DUNS/SAM registration is still required for:

  • Federal agreements with partners under the Agricultural Conservation Easement Program (Agricultural Land Easements and Wetland Reserve Easements).

  • Watershed operations agreements with project sponsors.

  • Emergency Watershed Protection Program agreements with project sponsors, including recovery and floodplain easements.

  • All cooperative, contribution, interagency, or partnership agreements used by NRCS to procure goods or services, including the Regional Conservation Partnership Program.

  • Other nonexempt landowners and producers.

Roach advises participants in NRCS programs to ignore any emails, phone calls or other communications from third-party vendors offering assistance for registering in SAMS or applying for a DUNS number. To learn more about NRCS financial and technical assistance, go to

9 views0 comments
bottom of page